The kneeling hip flexor stretch not only helps with hip extension but it also helps to avoid the small potbelly look so common among women, even fitness competitors.
Here is how to do it:
- Start on the floor by bending your left knee and right leg with foot on the ground and knee at 90-degree angle.
- Exhale and pull your belly button toward the spine.
- Lean forward until you feel your left thigh comes into contact with the back of your calf using your right foot to support your body weight while keeping your back straight.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, breathing comfortably. You will feel the stretch in your upper thigh.
Inhale and return to the starting position by pushing off of your foot, and continue to keep your abdominals tight at your upper body becomes vertical.
- Repeat the exercise with your other knee.