Want visible abdominals in three weeks? One of the two exercises (the second being a stomach vacuum) that delivers visible six-pack is the Myotatic Crunch. Named because it leverages the fully stretched position and the resultant reflex (myotatic reflex or stretch reflex) for a stronger contraction.
This exercise is effective for recruiting the transverse abdominis.
Here is how to do it:
- Using a BOSU or a small Swiss ball (45-55 centimeters in diameter), or if neither is available, use a pile of firm cushions, ensure your glutes is close to the floor, usually no more than 6 inches off of the ground.
- Stretch your arms overhead as high as possible and overlap your extended hands as if in a diving position.
Keep your arms behind or next to your ears for the entire exercise.
- Lower under control for four seconds until your fingers touch the floor, the entire time attempting to extend your hands further away from the ball.
- Pause at the bottom for two seconds, aiming for maximum elongation.
- Rise under control and pause in the upper, fully contracted position for two seconds with the arms not passing perpendicular with the ground.
- That’s one rep.
If you are advanced or once you complete ten repetitions comfortably, add weight to your hands.